This is Us…95 Years Strongng
March 2018 marks a major milestone for the
city of Clearwater and Clearwater Gas System,
or CGS. It is Clearwater Gas System’s 95th
Over the past 95 years, Clearwater Gas System has played
an important community role by offering clean, affordable
and efficient natural and propane gas, and most recently
compressed natural gas, or CNG, to the local community.
Clearwater Gas System began serving customers in the
Clearwater area during 1923 when operation began with a
manufactured gas plant operation (coal and coke). In 1959,
when natural gas transmission lines were finally extended to
peninsular Florida, Clearwater Gas System discontinued the
During the early years, very few customers used gas energy.
However, fast forward to 2018, today Clearwater Gas
System maintains a well-oiled process to provide gas service
to more than 23,000 residential and commercial customers
within 21 cities and two counties (North Pinellas and Pasco
Clearwater Gas System is owned and operated as an
enterprise utility by the city of Clearwater. The organization
maintains more than 900 miles of underground gas lines.
Below are a few Clearwater Gas facts in celebration of the
upcoming 95th Anniversary:
• CGS was first chartered in March 1923
• First office location was in downtown Clearwater
• CGS mascot, Therman the Thermasaurus, was first
introduced in 1998
• CGS once operated a second location in Pasco County
20 years ago
• CGS is owned and operated by the city of Clearwater
• CGS painted one of their buildings green to symbolize
• Clearwater’s Solid Waste Department was the first city
department to use CNG trucks
• The huge LP tank that once occupied space at 400 N.
Myrtle was dismantled in the 1970s
• CGS reported a sluggish fiscal year in 1956 (net loss of
• CGS employs 110 full-time employees to manage the
Throughout the 2018 calendar year, Clearwater Gas System
will celebrate the milestone with various community events
to reflect on where the company started and what has been
achieved in the past 95 years. Visit Clearwater Gas System’s
Facebook page at facebook.com/gasutility for a list of
upcoming celebratory events.
Clearwater Gas System is owned and operated by the city
of Clearwater. Since 1923, Clearwater Gas System has been
a loyal community partner and proudly serves more than
20,000 residential and commercial customers for their gas
energy needs. For more information, visit clearwatergas.com.