William Goff (1845-1919) was a sea
captain before he came to the Lemon
Bay area. He and his brother Dempse,
along with their nephew Jim, worked
the land in Vineland. William is
credited as being the first settler in the
Englewood area, arriving in 1878.
Seated on the front steps of the
Ainger home on Ainger Creek, top
step L-R: Ora Ainger, L.A. Ainger,
Sr., and Marietta Saunders (half sister
to L.A. Ainger, Jr.). On the bottom
step are Julia and L.A. Ainger, Jr. who
were born in this house. Circa 1919.
The original plat of Englewood was filed on August 17, 1896
by the Nichols brothers. The small lots in the center were
home sites while the large lots were for citrus groves. All the
streets were 20 feet wide.
Fishermen working the nets over to go fishing in Gasparilla.