NURSING HOME QUICK TIPS LIST
5. Care. Care standards should be evaluated
as it relates to both skilled care services and
custodial care services.
Skilled Care Services
Medicare has a tool to help determine
whether a nursing home is providing quality
care to patients. The Medicare Nursing Home
Compare website (medicare.gov/nursinghomecompare)
contains quality of resident
care and staffing information for more than
15,000 nursing homes around the country.
Here are a few ways you can evaluate the
facility’s standards for skilled care while you
are on your tour.
• Does the nursing home have a current
• Does the administrator have a current
• Is the nursing home Medicare-Medicaid
• What is the RN/LPN to patient ratio for day,
evening, and night?
• What is the nurse aide to patient ratio for
day, evening, and night?
• Are there onsite therapy programs where
patients are actually receiving therapy?
• Does the nursing home have special programs
where staff have been specifically
trained to take care of such care issues as
Alzheimer’s or wound care?
• Do you see any evidence of such programs
and care taking place?
Custodial Care Services
The need for custodial care can be determined
by evaluating the ADLs of the person
needing care. It is easy to evaluate the person
whether the care is being administered and administered
properly because we, as lay people,
can see, hear, and smell the results or the lack
of results of caregiver’s actions in personal care
DIRECTORY: Nursing Home Facilities (Bold type indicates advertiser)
Rohr Home, The ............................................ (863) 519-7579
Spring Lake Rehabilitation Center .............(863) 294-3055