There are just a few rules to follow to ensure islanders,visitors
and sea turtles can live together in harmony!
• No beach furniture, tents or shelters, beach toys or towels should be left on the beach.
Turtles are clumsy on land and their movement is limited, so these items can entrap turtles.
• All holes that are dug during a beach visit should be filled in before you leave. Turtles –
particularly baby turtles – can become trapped.
• Do not touch a turtle nest. Do not let dogs roam free on the beach, they may root around
in the nests or eat hatchlings.
• Turn off all beach-facing lights in your home and yard. At night these lights can be
mistaken by the turtles for the moon and they can become disoriented.
• To report a dead or debilitated sea turtle call (888) 404-FWCC (3922).
The Boca Grande Sea Turtle Patrol Association, needs your help!
If you can spend from one to seven mornings a week walking a zone, please contact
them on their Facebook page, “Boca Grande Sea Turtle Association.”
76 GASPARILLA ISLAND July/August 2019