LIVING IN WINTER PARK 93 MCALLASTER HOUSE 160 ALEXANDER PLACE This Spanish eclectic-style home, which abuts Lake Osceola, was designed by James Gamble Rogers II in 1934 for dry-goods tycoon Archibald F. McAllaster. Some of the building materials have a roundabout connection to department-store magnate J. C. Penney, who was developing an experimental community, Penney Farms, in Clay County. When the stock-market crash forced Penney to alter his plans, he sold truckloads of handcrafted roof tiles from Barcelona, many of which were used on the McAllaster House and another Rogers project, Casa Feliz. Dr. L. C. Ingram, who saw pictures of the McAllaster House in a magazine, asked Rogers to duplicate it. The architect agreed to use the same in ‘‘French Provincial clothing.’’ The Ingram House, an Orlando architectural landmark, still stands at the corner of Marks Street and Laurel Avenue. MARTIN HALL1000 GENIUS DRIVE In the early 1920s, members of the Winter Park Business Mens’ Club had this Mediterranean-style waterfront showplace built to serve as its headquarters. It became a private residence in 1925, and in 1930 was bought by John Martin, an international-relations consultant and conference leader at Rollins College. Martin hired local artist, designer and builder Sam Stoltz to plan and implement a major remodeling project. Stoltz, who had no formal training as an architect, nonetheless built numerous homes in a distinctive style he dubbed “Florida Spanish,” with textured stucco, coquina-like stone trim and rock fountains. Rollins bought the home after Martin’s death in 1956, renaming it Martin Hall and adapting it for use as a Conservatory of Music. In 1976, Rollins sold the property, which offers exquisite views of Lakes Virginia and Mizell, and it once again became a private residence.
To see the actual publication please follow the link above