THE LAWRENCE-CHUBB COTTAGE1300 SUMMERLAND AVENUE In 1883, New York shoe manufacturer Judge Lewis H. Lawrence built this home north of downtown Winter Park on the south shore of Lake Maitland. It’s - ences predominated. President Chester A. Arthur, a friend of Lawrence’s, visited the home shortly after it was completed. Most of the surrounding 10 acres were planted with citrus, but the crop was severely damaged by killer freezes in late 1894 and early 1885. The home was bought in 1899 by Henry S. Chubb, who had moved to Winter Park from Vermont. He lived in a log cabin at the corner of Phelps and Aloma avenues while planting a citrus grove Dinky Line, and was elected Winter Park’s second mayor in 1890. 92 LIVING IN WINTER PARK EASTBANK 724 BONITA DRIVE This Queen Anne-style structure was mostly built in 1883 by William Comstock, president of the Chicago Board of Trade. He named it Eastbank (although it’s also known as the Comstock-Harris House) because the 60-acre tract encompassed a large portion of Lake Osceola’s eastern shore. What’s now Bonita Drive was a camphor tree-lined alley leading to the threestory showplace, which was the site of numerous club bedrooms, each with its own bathroom, while the entrance hall is highlighted by beautiful stained-glass - ing extensive built-in bookcases. Much of the exterior is still covered by the original decorative shingles. Interestingly, Eastbank incorporates portions of an even older home, built by Wilson Phelps, an early settler and community booster. The inclusion of these elements is why Eastbank is sometimes referred to as the oldest home in Winer Park.
To see the actual publication please follow the link above